- Windows Data Recovery
- Hard Drive Recovery
- Office Recovery
- Dead Computer Recovery
- Other Data Recovery
by Anna SherryUpdated on 2020-03-13 / Update for Data Recovery
I worked on my excel file for hours and then the screen froze and i had to close all my sessions. When i wen to this path:C:UsersbarakAppDataLocalMicrosoftOfficeUnsavedFiles the folder was completely empty and i need to recover unsaved excel files not in unsavedfile folder microsoft 2016'
Sep 16, 2020 Recover Deleted Excel 2016 Method 1. Use Excel File Recovery Software. Professional file recovery software - EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard supports. Undelete Excel 2016 from Recycle Bin. Open Recycle Bin and find deleted Excel 2016 files with.xlsx extension. Recover Deleted. Go to File Info Manage Document Recover Unsaved Workbooks in Excel, or Recover Unsaved Presentations in PowerPoint. Select the file, and then select Open. In the bar at the top of the file, select Save As to save the file.
Open the file that you’d like to recover unsaved changes for, then open the File tab. Click Info Manage Workbook: Click the resulting Recover Unsaved Workbooks button: Excel will open a File Explorer window that may contain some unsaved files. If you see any files, double-click to open them.
If you often create Excel files on your computer, you have likely come across a situation where you forgot to save the file and turned off the computer. While there are methods to recover unsaved Excel file, they require you to put in a lot of effort before your file is recovered. If you are in such a situation presently, the following guide will help you out.
The guide shows how to recover Excel file not saved so the file that you did not save can be recovered and restored on your computer. There are multiple methods to recover an unsaved Excel file and the guide covers all those methods for you. Here's hoping you get your unsaved Excel file recovered using any of the following methods:
Method 1. Recover Unsaved Excel File from Excel AutoRecover
There is a feature called AutoRecover in Microsoft Excel that allows you to automatically recover your unsaved files. For you to be able to use the feature, you must have saved your Excel file at least once before your computer crashed or something unfortunate happened.
To use the AutoRecover feature in Excel, all you must do is launch the Excel software and you will see a Document Recovery pane in the software. It will show the available files that can be recovered. If you find your file in the list, click on it and it will open in the software.
You may then save the file using the standard save option in Excel. The feature retrieves your file from the Excel autosave location and lets you restore it if you want.
Method 2. Recover Unsaved Excel File Using Recover Unsaved Workbooks
There is one more feature in Excel that lets you recover your Excel workbooks with the click of a few options. You have likely seen this feature if you have ever opened an Excel file using the standard open option in the software.
To use the feature to recover your file, simply launch Excel and click on the 'File' menu followed by 'Open'. Select the 'Recent Workbooks' option and scroll down and you will find an option saying 'Recover Unsaved Workbooks'. Click on the option, select your Excel file that you want to recover, and the file will launch in the software for you.
That is how you recover unsaved Excel file 2019 using the feature mentioned here.
Method 3. Recover Unsaved/Overwritten Excel Files Using Manage Versions
Excel understands that sometimes a user may want to go back to the previous version of the file. Therefore, the software comes with a feature that saves all versions of your file on your computer. If something is broken in the current version of the Excel file, you can easily restore the previous or any other working version of the file to access the data in it.
However, keep in mind you will lose any data that you have added to the file after its version was created. If you are fine with losing a few bits of data and gaining the rest of the data from the file, you may use the following instructions to recover your unsaved or overwritten Excel file using the manage versions feature.
Launch Microsoft Excel on your computer and click on 'File' followed by 'Info'. Select the tab that says 'Manage Versions' to view all the available versions of your file. When your file versions are shown, select the one you want to recover, and it will open in the software for you.
As you can see, it's easy to perform a recovery task when an Excel document not saved on your computer.
Method 4. The Ultimate Way to Recover Unsaved/Lost Excel File on Windows/Mac
Each of the methods mentioned above have their limitations and if they could not help you recover your Excel file, this method will do. Meet Tenorshare 4DDiG for Windows Data Recovery a software that allows users to recover precious data on your computer. Once installed, all you need to do is tell the software where your files were saved, and it will recover all of your lost files for you. The following is how it can be used to recover an unsaved/lost Excel file on your computer:
Fix Corrupted Excel File 2016
Download and run the software on your computer. Select the drive where your Excel file was saved and click on the button that says Scan.
The software will scan the drive for you. When the drive is scanned, you will see the files that can be recovered. Click on the ones you want to recover and hit the button that says Recover at the bottom-right corner.
A prompt will appear asking where you would like to save the recovered files. Select a safe location for your files on your computer.
You are all set. Your chosen files have been recovered and saved in your selected folder.
Video Guide: How to Recover Unsaved Excel File 2020
You may also be interested in How to Recover Unsaved Word Documents.
If you ever forget to save your Excel file, the above guide will help you to recover unsaved Excel 2019/2016/2013/2010 file, so you do not lose any of your data that you were likely working on for hours. We hope the guide helps you out with your Excel recovery task.
If you by any chance do not save Microsoft Excel file, deleted or just misplaced, closed the workbook accidentally without saving, you can recover the spreadsheet in Excel 2016 – 2010. In this tutorial, we’ll go over how to recover unsaved Excel file.
There’re several ways you can try to recover unsaved or lost Excel file. If you closed an unsaved workbook, you might be able to rescue it using Excel’s Recover Unsaved Workbooks function:
The method works basically on Microsoft Excel 2013, 2016, 2010, and also Office 365. And this demonstration is on Windows 10, but you can try it on Mac.
Recover Excel File not Saved within Excel AutoSave (AutoRecover)
Many of us know that any program in the Microsoft Office package offers to save the original document or an autosaved version of the file which was closed suddenly. Such file will open automatically in the Document Recovery section after the program is started again.
- Open Excel program, find “Recovered” and click on “Show Recovered Files”.
- To recover such a file, click on the available file in the Document Recovered panel.
- Select “Open” or “Save As…”, or just click on it.
- Although it won’t always be completely up-to-date, there’s a chance you get everything back.
However, this method is good only if a Microsoft Office program was closed unexpectedly. It may happen the computer shuts down or there is a power cut.
Please note: Microsoft Office Excel, Words, or PowerPoint suggest recovering files only at the first restart of the program after an emergency shutdown. That is, if you open Excel, close it, and then open it again, it will not offer you anything. That is why I recommend saving everything you need at the first start of the program after the shutdown.
What should you do if you closed an Excel document without saving it?
Recover Unsaved Excel File from Temporary File
If you have an Excel file that you have been working on, and closed it without saving it as if accidentally. When you understand the wrong operation and opened it again, the result is that the last changes are gone.
In order to recover the unsaved workbooks, go ahead the following steps:
- Open a document via Excel.
- Go to the “File” tab, and then “Info”.
- Find the section “Manage Workbook”, you can see the version of files closed without saving is shown there.
- If there’re several elements on the list you don’t know which one to save, then have a look at the data and time autosaved documents were created. It will help you understand which file to recover.
- Click on it, make sure it is the actual unsaved version of the document. Click “Restore“.
- OK, the previous unsaved Excel worksheet is now restored.
This method to be able to restore unsaved documents, the program should have autosave settings activated. By default, they are activated in all Microsoft Office programs, and you can check them by the following configuration:
Configure the AutoRecover Settings in Excel
- open a blank page of Microsoft excel 2013/2016.
- Go to “File” > “Options”.
- And in this Excel options window, you’ve got a lot of options like General, fomulas, Proofing, Save…, click on “Save”.
- Quick go through the “Save” tab where everything is customizable. You can define how workbooks are saved.
- Here you can reduce auto-recovery time to one, two, three,… minutes from the default 10 minutes. The lowest value you can set is one minute which means if you close spreadsheet without saving, you will only lose the data you entered in the last one minute.
- You also have to make sure that the option “Keep the last autosaved version if I close without saving” is checked. Otherwise, after an emergency shutdown, the latest version of a document is often unavailable.
- Now, select and copy the “AutoRecover file location” file path, where your recovery files are located. You can make sure that you do not lose it, so you can keep it in a notepad.
- Click “OK” to close Excel option window.
If your computer shut down or restarted when working with an Excel worksheet, or you haven’t restored the document offered by the program, and after you open it again, there is no option to recover it. Then you can still restore Excel document.
After this, whenever your computer shut down, restarted when working with a worksheet, or you haven’t restored the unsaved Excel file offered by the program after you open it again, you will be able to see the files that can be auto recovered. To do it, operate as the steps below:
Recover Unsaved Excel File from Auto-Recover File Location
- Simply go ahead, and launch the File Explorer on Windows.
- Then, put your cursor on top the URL bar, paste that recovery location and press Enter.
- The folder that opens contains all copies of files created as a result of autosaving: Their name has the word Autosaved.
- You can find the necessary file by name and date.
- If you want to open it, just right-click on it and open it. It is giving you an option to restore it.
- Before you close it, make sure you do not lose the file. Because this is going to be only temporarily on this system and not going to be always there. So, go to “Files” > “Save As”, restore and save it with a different name.
How To Recover Files In Excel 2016
Recover Unsaved Excel File with Recoverit
How To Retrieve Excel File Not Saved
If you haven’t found the necessary files of the unsaved or autosaved Excel worksheet in the AutoRecover folder, the last chance, you can try restoring them with Recoverit – Data Recovery. You may not find them in the said folder because the autosave file or un unsaved document copy was created a long time ago, and the program may have deleted them already.
How To Recover Files From Hard Drive
To recover the deleted unsaved Excel file, download and run Recoverit on your computer.
- To recover lost Excel file, it is necessary to choose the location where you lost it. It could be a hard drive or perhaps a specific folder on Desktop or somewhere else, and click “Start” to begin scanning it.
- An all-around scan will start. It should take a few minutes to finish the scanning. During the scanning process, you can toggle the different ways to filter, select and pinpoint the files you want to recover. And, you can click pause or stop the scanning for your convenience.
- After the scanning, you can preview the found Excel document by hitting on the file.
- After previewing the Excel files and confirm they are what you want, you now can get them all back by clicking on “Recover”. Select a path to save the recovered Excel document. The hard disk where you deleted or lost is not recommended.